Disable File Sharing
Windows has a file and printer sharing option that is enabled by default on your computer. While it can be a useful for some environments where this type of sharing is needed, it can be detrimental to your computer’s security when you are on the residential network.
With File and Printer Sharing enabled, any person or virus may be able to access your computer without your knowledge. As most student will not need this feature, we strongly recommend you disable this function.
DISABLE File sharing IN WINDOWS 7
- Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center
- In the panel on the left, click Change advanced sharing settings, and then click the arrow next to Home or Work
- Check the following settings: Network Discovery: Off. File and Printer Sharing: Off.
- Click Save Changes
DISABLE FILE SHARING IN WINDOWS 8/8.1
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, click Settings > Change PC settings
- Click Network > Connections, and click your network connection (Most likely WWUResTek-secure)
- Turn off Find devices and content