Windows 7 or older
Wired (Ethernet): Instructions for setting up a wired connection
ResTek’s WWUResTek-secure wireless residential network no longer supports Windows 7 or older, and Windows XP is entirely not allowed on any of our networks.
There are two options for connecting Windows 7 or Vista:
Free Upgrade to Windows 10: All Western students should be eligible to download Windows 10 for free.
To download the free software, go to the online store at http://wwu.onthehub.com. Click Search for your school!, and follow the remaining instructions.
- Once the Windows software is downloaded, it must be activated with the product code available on the website. If not activated, the software installs as a 30-day trial. This software is good for two installations.
- Be sure to save the installation file and the software product code in case you need to re-install the software!
2. TEMPORARY NON-SECURE WIRELESS CONNECTION
Use the WWUResTek-alt network: Intended primarily for devices that do not have web browsers, the WWUResTek-alt network can be used to temporarily connect a Windows 7 or Vista computer to non-secure wireless until the computer is upgraded to Windows 10. Disclaimer: The WWUResTek-alt network is not secure and we strongly urge that it not be used for highly sensitive purposes such as banking and online purchases.
- Find the MAC Address for your computer, starting by clicking the Start button.
- In the Run text box, type cmd. This will open the command window.
- Where the cursor is blinking, type ipconfig /all.
- Look for and copy down the “Physical Address” (aka the MAC address) from the “Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection” section.
- Close the command prompt window.
- Go to myResTek and click on Add Device
- In the Register New Device pop-up, enter the MAC Address and Device Type: Windows 7/Vista
- Restart your computer, and then select the WWUResTek-alt network from the list of wireless networks, and you should be able to connect.