Boot in Safe Mode
You can start Windows 7 or 8 in safe mode using either the System Configuration Utility or the F8 key.
To use the System Configuration to start Windows 7 or 8 in Safe mode
- Close all open programs.
- Click Start > type msconfig into the search bar and open it.
- On the BOOT tab, check Safe Boot
- Click OK.
- When you are asked to restart the computer, click Restart.The computer restarts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.) When you are finished working in Safe mode, open the msconfig tab again and uncheck Safe Boot
To use the F8 key to start Windows 7 in Safe mode
- Restart the computer.
- Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you’ll need to try again by waiting until the Windows login prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press Enter (for most scenarios, use the standard “Safe Mode” option)
- Once you are done, simply restart the computer again and let it boot normally.
To Boot Windows 8 into Safe mode without System Configuration:
If you can boot the PC to the login screen, you can hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on Restart to be taken to the troubleshooting option screen where you can enable Safe Mode.
- Once you get to the troubleshooting screen, You will need to click on the Troubleshoot button.
- Now select Advanced Options
- Now click Windows Startup Settings
- Finally hit the Restart button
- When your PC reboots you will be able to boot into Safe Mode from the Advanced Boot Options screen