As a ResTek Web Designer you will be responsible for building and maintaining websites for ResTek and University Residences.
You will work collaboratively in a small web development team. You will contribute to an existing style guide by writing CSS and HTML within team-established conventions. You will work with students and staff within University Residences to create and update content accurately, reliably, and on-time.
You will coordinate and identify projects within the design and development process and conduct usability tests to enhance accessibility.
As a member of the ResTek team you will manage projects, maintain the integrity, consistency, and accessibility of the website and web applications, and work collaboratively with staff.
We care about our users and emphasize user-centered design methodologies. You will incorporate design and usability feedback into design implementations, communicate technical concepts to audiences with non-technical backgrounds, and write HTML with accessibility standards in mind.
You will document design decisions and stay current with emerging technologies and practices.
ARE YOU QUALIFIED?
- You are well organized
- You are passionate about usability and have an eye for design
- You are detail oriented and can see the big picture
- You are able to communicate professionally, clearly, and with accurate detail via phone, email, and in person
- You have a solid knowledge of and experience with HTML and CSS
- You learn new and emerging technologies independently
- We work in small teams
- We work closely with our users
- We use peer-to-peer training to teach staff the tools and languages used in our applications
- We are active in the Open Source community and use Open Source tools
- We use build automation tools (NPM, Gulp) and UI library (PatternLab)
- The ResTek web team is composed of a Web & Graphic Designer, Web Designers, a Front-End Web Developer and Web Application Developers. Many skills are utilized across positions.
- The team is responsible for the design, content, functionality, and information architecture for the University Residences and ResTek websites
- We are currently in the first phase of a significant website rewrite
- The Web Designers work closely with a full time Communications Consultant who is responsible for the written content
THE FINE PRINT
This position is offered for the academic year as well as summer, to begin immediately. Preference is given to applicants who will be available to work at least through Spring 2019 and available to work Summer 2018.
During the academic year you will work 15-19 hours per week while classes are in session. Must be available to work during summer for at least 20 hours per week. (Enrollment in summer classes is not required, and on-campus housing is available at a discounted rate during summer.) Paid training is provided.
Current hourly wage is $13.20 for both work-study and non-work-study students. You must maintain at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA and be taking at least 10 credits (8 for graduate students) during employment. The Web Designer reports to the Assistant Director for Information Technology and receives direction and technical advising from the Web Systems Developer.
Deadline: 8:00am, Monday, February 12, 2018
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY & AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
Western Washington University does not discriminate in its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity & Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, WWU, Old Main 345, MS 9021, 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360-650-3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Deborah Frost at email@example.com, or call (360) 650-7474